Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Can't Live Without Quesadillas?

One of my favorite foods ever is a good quesadilla. And what makes me most unhappy about dieting is having to give up my favorite foods. So when I find a way that I can turn one of my favorite foods into an under 300 calorie meal, it's a good day.

Plain cheese quesadillas

Ingredients
2 - 80 calorie whole grain wraps
3/4 cups fat free shredded cheese (any kind, mozzerella, cheddar, etc.)

Necessities
Non stick frying pan

Bring frying pan to med - high heat, place wrap on pan. Heat one side for 20-25 seconds, flip. Spread half of cheese on one half of tortilla. Fold tortilla in half over cheese spread. Heat for 30-45 second on each side. Repeat with second quesadilla and other half of cheese mixture. If you don't have a good non-stick pan, you may wish to use some light cooking spray on any other pan.

Calories 295, carbs 42g, fat 6g, protein 43g.

Suggestions

I would get La Tortilla's Smart & Delicious Low Carb wraps. They are multi grain, but taste much better than some of the whole wheat 80 calorie alternatives. Plus, I find they're easier to fold, less cardboard-like than some of the alternatives. They're easy to find at any Hannaford or Price Chopper - but I usually can't find them at Walmart.

I usually get 2 varieties of shredded cheese to make a blend of cheese for my quesadilla, b/c I haven't been able to find the "mexican" or "fiesta" blends in fat free options.

Alternatives & Add Ons

For not a lot of extra calories - you can add things to this meal. I usually add some salsa - I get Newman's Mango Tango - 20 calories per serving, no fat calories!

- 2 oz shredded (baked or grilled) chicken, 1 oz per quesadilla = 62 calories
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes = 20 calories
- 1/2 cup chopped onions = 30 calories
- 2 tbsp salsa = 20 calories
- 2 tbsp guacamole = 45 calories

No comments:

Post a Comment